Titanfall 2 - Mini-Review 7 years 5 months ago #1960

• DY357LX
  • I would kill you for a crumpet.
"From one fight on to the next.
Two outlaws ride, their weapons flexed.
One is quick, the other’s tall.
Together they’ll kill them all."

Game info:
You don't have to have played Titanfall 1 to get some fun out of Titanfall 2.
The campaign mode from #1 was essentially a series of multiplayer matches with story-info on the loading screens and the occasional cut-scene telling players about the 2 opposing factions.
In #2 however, you've got a fully-fledged campaign with an interesting story.

Story info (no spoilers, all of this is from the first 15 minutes):
You take the role of rifleman Jack Cooper. Cooper is about to start his Titan training program when he and the other infantry members are whisked off to a nearby planet to assault the enemy.
Things quickly go sour and Cooper witnesses his Captain getting killed. The Captains' Titan (BT-7274) however, survives... just about. You repair it and take over command. And that's where shit gets really interesting! Hard to say much more without spoiling the story-line.

Single Player score & summary:
9/10
It's never boring. The game has you switching between first-person shooting with Cooper, to third-person action via BT-7274. There's a very good selection of weapons and abilities to keep you entertained and the bond/banter between BT and Cooper is excellent.
I finished the campaign in under six hours but have since replayed 2 or 3 chapters because they were genuinely fun. There's also collectibles... if you're into that kind of thing.
This is competing with DOOM for my Game of the Year.

Multi Player score & summary:
7/10
The general consensus (from the Titanfall 2 community) is that #2's MP is better than 1's... I guess I have to play it more. The developers changed the classic (Attrition) game mode (not as fun, I don't think) and the Titan's themselves feel pretty weak compared to in #1. In #1 I could call down my Titan and stomp around in it for 5 minutes or more, racking up kills and ducking out of combat to recover when needed. In #2 I'm lucky if my Titan lasts more than a minute. I still have plenty of weapons, mods and Titans to unlock but they still feel too underpowered and too situational to be either fun or useful. I think the devs have done this to encourage more teamplay.
I need to give MP more time... it's good but it's not Titanfall 1 good, not yet however. Unlocking more gear may bring more enjoyment.
(Side note, the devs did remove the Smart Pistol from the first game! Which is fucking awesome!)

Recommended Purchase?
If you really enjoyed Titanfall 1 and want more from that universe... yes.
If you can find it for under £35... yes.
If you like robots... yes.

Media:

Story ("Become One") trailer:

Pilot ("Single Player Cinematic") trailer:

Game Info:
Download size: ~35gig
Install size: ~45gig (after decompression)
Available on: Origin, GreenManGaming - 5% off. There's a special edition available but it's just character & weapon skins. Crap.
And so is the Golden City blackened
With each step you take in my Hall.
Marvel at perfection, for it is fleeting.
You have brought Sin to Heaven
And doom upon all the world.
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by DY357LX.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

S5 Box

Login/Logout

Register

Please click the image below to register with the site