• Register
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 9 months ago #1869

Seems no one else got a bf1 alpha key? Well the NDA has been lifted so I can post a video from my first day of playing.

This is what I posted on the closed alpha forums:

After playing in the BF1 Alpha for one day this is the experience I had.

To put that video in to context its best to have also watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_B9a78HR1Y as well. (thanks to the BF4 CTE some of the issues have been fixed)

BF1 has potential to be decent, for example when I started playing I was charging up a hill with my squad and another squad along with a light tank, fighting enemy on the way up to the objective with bullets and explosions going off and sides of buildings getting demolished, team mates shouting various VO as we attacked. It looked and sounded amazing like I was in some world war 1 or 2 movie! Then I notice my squad leader get sniped and his helmet flys off, he calls for medic and with only a small wall between myself and him I run to help him. I then get stuck on the wall spamming space bar because the vaulting system is still broken, when it finally lets me over the wall I can't revive him because of the annoying revive bug and since I am now under fire myself I rush towards the nearest door way to get in to cover. Unfortunately a noob teammate is stood blocking the door and I cant get in and we both die from a tank because this stupid game doesn't allow you to push past players like in BF2.

True story bro.

This makes the great atmosphere and experience pointless when the game is a broken annoying mess and you quickly remember why you stopped playing the battlefield franchise.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 9 months ago #1870

bastard i want a code :( good vid tho

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 9 months ago #1871

They should just add mod tools back in and let people who actually care about playing a decent game mop it up.

It's a shame to see a decent game that you have good memories of get shat on. The way they curn out these pieces of shit is quite impressive, but I think the days of getting excited for a battlefield release are well and truly gone.

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 9 months ago #1874

I think they have definitely got the atmosphere done right, does feel good assaulting flags and it can be fun when it works. But I think then the game detects you are having fun and starts pissing me off with all he old bugs and problems and I start dying from them.

I'm going to wait and see how well DICE do at listening to feedback and fixing and improving the game for release before I buy it....if it is still full of all the same old shit at release then I wont bother.

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 9 months ago #1875

Part 2 of bugs for DICE to fix :)

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 9 months ago #1877

Well here is feedback I posted for DICE on the closed alpha forums. If they don't listen then at least I can say I tried heh...

-Hit indicators
The new 3D hit indicators that are supposed to show the direction you are taking damage from are confusing and annoying. Lets see some screenshots:
i.imgur.com/G00raZo.jpg Now in this one you see the hit indicator totally blocking the enemy player in front of me which is really bad, but you may also think that this enemy is shooting me and so it is pointing to him as the source of damage. Wrong, the hit indicator is actually pointing behind me as i got shot from behind. i.imgur.com/BsUnqgA.jpg and i.imgur.com/GJJRS0B.jpg both look like i am taking damage from the right but in fact the first picture i am taking damage from directly in front and just slightly to the right. The second picture i am taking damage from the right. Damage indicators need to quickly and clearly show the direction of damage and this new 3d system is not doing that. DICE please remove it and return the 2d system that (once fixed) in BF4 worked well. At least give us the option to choose between the 2d and 3d hit indicators! Do not force this awful new system on us!

-Behemoth airship
The Behemoth airship is annoying https://youtu.be/bIgj6xKpKmM ....far too easy to get kills on infantry that i cant even see and requires no skill. Pretty useless in fog unless something is spotted which means you are just shooting at red dots all day. As infantry on the ground it is very frustrating since a lot of the map has no direct cover from above and there is nothing you can do but die since you have no counter to the constant cannon fire from above. It does not really help the losing team since 6 slots are taken which means these players are not taking flags and since only flags make you win games and not kills (more on that later) then it is more of a hindrance to have it a lot of the time. You also can not spawn on it if all seats are taken which means you cant use it as a parachute drop off point to get flags to try and help your team win sometimes.
To improve it I would have a special "paratroop spawn" that allows players to spawn on the Behemoth regardless if it is full or not and start dropping to the ground (do NOT auto open our parachute) so that it helps players get to flags below as a mobile spawn point. I would reduce the number of gun positions from 6 to 4, So instead of 4 side cannons just have 2 side cannons and they should have 200 degree view of each side, the machine gun on top to defend from air attacks and the main driver who still has his powerful bombs.
I would also reduce the splash damage of the 2 side cannons against infantry so that you need a little more skill and have to to actually aim to get kills.

-The Sun
i.imgur.com/eNRhRh9.jpg and i.imgur.com/W2oRol0.png
DICE I really don't understand your obsession with making the sun really bright and annoying with awful lens flare effects in every battlefield since BF3. Usually BF1 looks amazing however the sun just makes the game look horrible and gives me eye cancer. sunglasses unlock is needed more than the gas mask! It really isn't fun to have to attack flags against the sun all map. DICE when its a sunny day in Sweden go outside and stare directly at the sun and then tell me how fun that is. (warning please don't as you will probably go blind...hence it not being fun). Just tone the sun down and make it more subtle please. Please!

-Melee / bayonet kills
gfycat.com/IllinformedRectangularBoar
Melee is too powerful up close from the front, it's far to quick easy and cheap to get insta kills by just spamming melee in close quarters. Basically press panic button to win. The problem with it is the attack speed and the health threshold when the auto take down kill kicks in, i first hit a guy from front once and then the auto lock on takes over and kills him in less than a second.
To improve melee combat and make it more skillful and less cheap i would make melee damage from the front do 40 damage instead of 80, Also currently once a player has 80 health he is able to be taken down by auto melee kill. I would reduce this threshold to 50 health. So this means for a melee take down to happen from the front the enemy player needs to have 50 health or lower. This would make it so on a full health player it takes 2 melee attacks to the front before the 3rd attack does the auto take down. Melee attacks from behind should do the take down no matter what the health is still.
Bayonet charges should do the take down of a full health player only if they charged at you for a second or 2 and have built up some momentum. otherwise they should just do damage. This will stop people just instantly activating bayonet attack while being stood right next to an enemy face to face for an easy kill.

-Conquest tickets
I don't like the changes to how scoring works in conquest with only flags giving points and counting upwards. The old way where tickets counted down and the death of a soldier counted as a ticket was better. Medic's trying to revive teammates to save tickets is now pointless. Behemoth airship is useless for the team as getting kills with it is not really helping much. Now to win it's best to avoid combat and just zoom round the map flag hopping. I've had many great and very close games in previous BF games where the flags where mostly even and you were fighting for the last few tickets and trying to save lives as a medic and killing enemy to win. Bring back the ticket system from previous BF games however make a ticket be lost on a player death (when he goes back to the spawn screen) rather than on respawn back into the game to stop the "don't spawn or we lose" problem on very close games.

-Requesting revive
The medic and revive system is very bad and is not fun for either the medic or the incapacitated player wanting to be revived. Currently when you are incapacitated you just see your killer and if there is a medic near by it shows his distance from you. This distance is not accurate a lot of the time and also if the medic is dead you have no way to know since you can't see the medics. I have also been revived when no medic was shown to be around. The ability to hold space bar to get a quicker respawn is also really annoying for a medic that is on his way to you. Fast redeploy should be removed and the spawn time should be fixed at 15 seconds.
The request revive option should do a better job of telling medics you want to be revived and also it would be good if it could extend the time by 5 seconds or so, As it is annoying for both the medic and the player wanting to be revived when the medic gets to you just half a second too late and you are forced to respawn.
When the player has requested a revive he should get better feedback as to what the medic is doing and if he is coming to his aid. Once the "request revive" button is pressed I suggest changing the view from the kill cam showing the red outline of the enemy player to a view of the closest medic with a blue outline. This way you can track the medic's progress towards you and you know if he is actually coming to save you or not. If this is not possible at least leave the mini map on and show the medic icons like in BF2.

-Flag points
The current amount of points awarded to each player for taking a flag in conquest is a bit too much. It can be as much as 1450 for a full flag cap as you get +25 every few seconds of being in radius (which is +500 for full cap), 250 for neutralising a flag, 500 points for capturing the flag and then another 200 points for the squad attack order. (however sometimes there seems a be a bug where the small +25 points every few seconds don't always get awarded)
where as killing a full health player will award you with around 120 points, Now I am all for encouraging objective play but 1450 points for just standing at a flag seems a bit too much, especially if you compare it with previous BF games. It will just make the game even more about flag hopping and avoiding combat since kills also don't help the enemy team lose tickets as I mentioned above. I would greatly reduce the 250 points for neutralising and 500 for flag capture but keep the +25 points every few seconds as players who have stood in the radius for the longest time should be rewarded more compared to someone who just runs in at the least second for an easy 500 points on full capture.

In domination game mode you only get 25 points for a full flag cap and 200 points for squad attack order. Seems a bit odd that you get a lot more points for the squad order than you do for actually taking a flag. This isn't great if you have a bad squad leader that is not setting squad orders! Since the flag cap in domination is fast you should maybe get 50 points for neutralising a flag and 50 for taking it and have the squad attack order reduced to 100 points.

-Tripwire traps
These are quite annoying to die to and you pretty much just keep instantly dying when running into a building, it doesn't help that the HDR/bloom effect in the game makes buildings look dark inside while you are outside until you run into them and your eyes adjust which makes spotting the single black trip wire very hard. It also requires no skill to just spam 2 of these down at once in a building at a flag and just wait for the easy kills to roll in, since you are support you also just give yourself ammo and place more down once you get kills. You can even play support put 2 traps down and then when you respawn you can go to a different class and you will still keep the traps placed and get kills with them while not even playing support.
To balance these and make them less annoying and cheap easy way to get kills I would reduce the damage so they don't instantly kill you but instead cause 90 damage and would wound you to stop you from being able to sprint for 5 seconds (like the bayonet effect after you finished the charge). This makes them more unique and allows the person who set the trap to kill the wounded and disadvantaged player rather than just using trip wire traps for set and forgot easy no skill kills.

-Armoured vehicles (mainly sound)
Using tanks is quite easy to get a high KDR as they are powerful and you are well protected if you use them right, I think some slight tweaks to tune them down a little bit are needed, with this either being a slower repair rate or less tanks on the battlefield or maybe have them show on the mini map when they fire. Maybe when there are more anti-tank items such as mines or TNT it might balance out better though. However one of the big problems is they are too quiet when moving and completely silent when not moving. A tank should be feared by infantry but they should also be able to hear a tank from far away when it is driving in and they should still play a loud engine noise when not moving. Same for armoured cars. I also think when a tank or car is spotted it should show the number of enemy players inside (with a +3 for example) so you know what you are up against and if you can flank or not. The outside camera view of the driver also gives him a big FOV advantage and can see anyone trying to flank him.

-Mini map and chat UI is not great
So the mini map in BF1 is "ok" but nothing special in comparison to other battlefield games like BF2:

BF1 minimap:

The mini map in BF2 just looks so much better with its colour and is much more clear and has tons of great teamwork features built in to it.

For example in BF2 if you were a medic you could see the health of every team mate on the mini map as the wounded players had an outline on them that went darker red the more wounded they were so you knew who needed health and who needed it most. The same with ammo allowed support players to know who needed ammo most. So it would be great if we could get this feature back in battlefield to help increase teamwork.

It would be nice to get a 1px black outline around icons as they tend to merge into each other and just look like a big blue blob when a few players are stood close to each other.

When a player requests a medic or ammo then his icon should flash on the mini map with a little first aid or ammo symbol to you if you are playing as medic or support. The player who does the request should also see any medic or support players icon on the mini map flash so that he knows who can help him and to make his way to them.

Players that request a ride should flash a pick up icon to anyone in a vehicle near by.

You could also have a new icon when a player requests a revive.

Chat log / Requests
The chat box in BF1 is a bit small and everything like servers messages, game chat and requests are all thrown into this small box which means important info is often missed or pushed off screen quickly.

What would improve it would be to separate chat and player requests from the commo rose into separate parts. So the chat has its own box at the top like it does now but anyone spamming "GO GO GO", "Requesting orders" or "need medic" etc goes into a different place which would fit nicely between the chat box and where the squad orders go. So just below chat and just above where it says "B ORDER RECEIVED" would be a good spot.

Also one of the annoying things in current battlefield games is that server admins sometimes run annoying scripts that spam the chat with useless info like "player2 is on a killing spree", "player5 just knifed player1" etc etc. If server messages could be a different colour to player chat it might help to differentiate chat from server messages.

I also hope being able to use chat at the end of the match is going to return.

-No way to have friends different colours on the mini map any more
Battlefield Vietnam had a great feature where you could add players on your team to your buddies list, this made them show up green on your mini map, 3D map and in kill messages (similar to how squads work currently). However the great thing about it was that you could also customize the individual colour of everyone of your buddies to be a unique colour.

So if like me you play with a lot of different friends and clan mates at the same time then by giving each of them a different colour you can easily and quickly know who is who on the battlefield even if they are in your squad or not. For example if i had made my friend "TheHelgon" purple colour and my other friend "Braddock512" yellow colour and was driving a jeep and saw a purple buddy on my mini map just up ahead i would instantly know it was "TheHelgon" and could shout to him on VOIP if he wanted a lift, if while heading over to pick him up i saw an enemy tank heading towards the yellow buddy icon on my mini map i could warn "Braddock512" that a tank was heading his way.

It will make the game much more fun as it increases teamwork and communication as it did with battlefield vietnam. I know we can currently have 4 friends in our squad in BF1 but many people have more than 4 friends and clan mates playing at the same time and also having your 4 squad members a different colour would help differentiate between them much easier instead of them all being green.

To use this feature in Battlefield Vietnam you had to do the following:
-Unique colors for individual buddies. Once a buddy has been added to the buddylist.con (located in the settings\profiles\profile_name folder), that file can be edited manually to adjust the RGB value of the individual buddies. The unique color will appear in the mini-map, 3d map, and for text, and death messages. For instance, game.addPlayerToBuddyListByName “Player” 255.0 155.0 0.0 = Red(R) 255.0, Green(G) 155.0, Blue(B) 0.0 –> an Orange buddy icon.

Might sound complicated to some but it wasn't, and also people made little programs to easily edit the colours with a GUI. Of course if it was implemented like that it would have to be PC only but there is no reason why it couldn't be improved with a menu in game or on battlelog in the friends page that let you click on your friends name and then use a colour picker like this "Html Color Picker" html-color-codes.info/#HTML_Color_Picker to do it, Even console versions could then have this feature.

-No battlefield recorder
We still need this great feature from battlefield 2 so that everyone can view and share there battlefield moments, not everyone can record there game footage and even the people that do are limited to there own view. We need to be able to watch any match back from any player or perspective. Not only will it be great advertising and marketing for battlefield but will also help us find bugs, spot cheaters, make movies etc etc etc. Come on DICE its time to bring back the recorder / replay feature.

-No more battlelog
Since we don't have battlelog any more the in-game server browser is not as good as battlelog was as it lacks the advanced filters you could apply to find servers. Also what will happen to battlescreen? it was great being able to use a separate screen to have a big map of the battlefield on with all the team locations etc. I hope these features have not been removed.

-Small random things
Some of the spawn points are too much out in the open and lack cover, The worst is the D flag as German, when that flag is being attacked you spawn out in the open field near by with very little cover in any direction.
How come the squads are named alpha,bravo etc and not apple, butter if that was used in that time period?
The stationary cannon should auto reload itself if not used by anyone for 30 seconds, its annoying when you get to it and need to take a quick shot to take out a moving vehicle or something but it isn't loaded and so starts the long loading animation by which time you missed the shot.
Spotting sometimes doesn't work well and i cant spot a tank or troop in the distance.
BF4 had lots of HUD and UI customisation options from the CTE patches, i hope this gets put into BF1

-Bugs
Lets not have another broken buggy battlefield at release. Fix these bugs and problems:

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 9 months ago #1878

Thats a lot of shit, bet they dont read it.

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 8 months ago #1880

Hyper wrote:
Thats a lot of shit, bet they dont read it.

Hi!
We are reading and listening! Thank you for all the great feedback and awesome gameplay during the alpha.
Also, special thank you Leki82 for putting together videos, it makes it vastly easier to pinpoint issues.

^^^ from a DICE dev....so lets see how good game turns out.

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 8 months ago #1881

Ah he said videos, he looks at the pictures but not the words :lol:

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 8 months ago #1883

Listen? DICE? Haha. They haven't fixed bugs that are in BF1 that are in previous BF games :angry:

The REAL BF1 Alpha Experience 7 years 7 months ago #1898

what is the teamspeak pass so i can join?

S5 Box

Login/Logout

Register

Please click the image below to register with the site